Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday's Thanksgivings


I have so very much to be thankful for today. 

This time - one year ago - labor had begun,
and my little Claire began her entrance into the world.

I labored through the night, 
and Claire arrived precisely on her due date - September 24th - 
at 6:01 in the morning.

Right on time, I'd say.  Just like her Daddy. 
She continues to prove to be like him more and more each day.
I'm so glad.

So today, on the eve of my little girl's birth,
my heart overflows with humble gratitude to 
the Giver and Creator and Sustainer of life.

Thank you, kind Father, for Claire.
She is a gift from you. 




Around 10:30 p.m.,
about to head to the hospital.

I started dilating about a month earlier, 
and I honestly thought there was no way I'd make it to my due date.
Our bags had been packed and plans were in place for John David.

I found it funny that my labor pains actually began 
as I sat down to read a section in my pregnancy book about how to induce labor!

I had already heeded some advice I received from several women at church that evening.
I had taken 3 brisk laps around the house 
(indoors - pumping my arms down the hall, through the living room - I know I was a sight!:)
and I had gladly downed a glass of cranberry juice.
An eggplant sat in my fridge - at the suggestion of another friend -
waiting to be cooked, though I'd never attempted that before.

Then I sat down on the couch with my book and a bag of carrots,
and it all began. 

The Lord's timing is perfect!
For that, I am so very thankful!

(I never made it to the eggplant. ;)





3 comments:

molly b. said...

Yay for the celebration of sweet Claire! She is much loved by many! Thinking of you, sweet friend! Love to you.

Julianne said...

Happy Birthday, Baby Claire!! We're thankful for your life, too :) What a sweet recollection of your labor. I love you, Katie!

David and Katie Kizziah said...

Thank you so much, sweet ladies. I love you both, and I appreciate you thinking of my girl on her special day!!