Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Encouraged

My Claire Elizabeth.  





She is quite a gal. 

Claire loves to jump on the bed with her brother, she loves to go outside, and she LOVES to check the mail.  She's a little chatter box while riding in the car, but she likes to talk very loudly - often to her brother's dismay.  Claire gets excited when we turn on a movie that she likes, and she loves to clap to "If Your Happy and You Know It."  She likes to share (she often offers me her pacifier) and many times she will stop drinking her bottle to "tell" me something, usually regarding the lamp or the flowers or the clock.  


Claire has very strong opinions and is very vocal about them.  She's been known to turn red in the face when she is frustrated, and she will let you know if she opposes your actions.  Yet she is easily delighted and is quick to let you know when she is enjoying herself and your company.  Claire has a precious laugh and can be quiet the cuddle bug.    


Claire seems to really enjoy when we read together, and she definitely has her favorite books.  As we were reading tonight, I steered away from our normal selection of bedtime books and chose a new book to read.  We looked at the cover, pointing out a few features on the brown bear's face, and I felt that Claire was enjoying herself.  As we flipped past the cover page, Claire made her opinion known.  She started shaking her head furiously and then turned around for me to pick her up.  She immediately faced the book shelf and reached for another book.  I got the message.  I picked up two of our "usuals" and let her choose.  She pointed to the nubby puppy, and we repositioned ourselves with this oh-so-familiar book in hand.  She sat delighted and content.  Oh, Claire.  There is no guessing game with you, my child.    


I felt the need to share this, specifically since my recent post.  I took Claire to the doctor for her 9 month check up.  I expressed to him how I watch Claire like I hawk and tend to overanalyze everything she does.  He said that he saw no areas of concern and felt there was nothing to worry about. 


I have found it that when Claire does not feel well, she exhibits behaviors that appear "autistic".  But don't we all.  I mean, who really wants to smile and be sociable when they don't feel well.  So unlike others in her family, Claire is just not going to act like she feels good when she doesn't!  This made sense to me, especially when the doctor affirmed her strong will.  He said we'll keep a close watch on things, but not to worry.  He then suggested that I read what Dr. Dobson has to say about the strong willed child!  

So I write this to say a huge "THANK YOU!" to those who have been praying for our family.  Oh, I beg you to continue!  But I did want you to know that I am so very encouraged regarding Claire, especially since she has been feeling better.  I know that I will just have to remind myself of her tendencies when she doesn't feel well and to not let myself be a worrywart the next time she's under the weather.        



"The LORD is my strength and my shield; 
in Him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to Him." 
Psalm 28:7



2 comments:

Vicki Winter said...

Oh sweet Claire sounds so much like my sweet Hillary! They add such life to the family ~ and are sooo loveable!! I'm so glad the doctor was able to help you relax a little, so you can enjoy her! I do understand ~ after I had a miscarriage it was so hard to enjoy being pregnant because I was always looking for something that might be wrong!! Your children are so blessed to have a mother who just wants the best for them! Love to you all!!!

David and Katie Kizziah said...

Thank you, sweet Aunt Vicki, for taking time to further encourage my heart. You are so dear. We love you guys; thank you for loving us! Can't wait to see you all again.